Dr. White grew up in Los Angeles (undergrad at UCLA) and then earned his Ph.D. at the University of Oregon. Over his professional career he has been a full-time Professor of Psychology (California State University, Fullerton; 1975 - 85) and part-time faculty and UCLA and UC Irvine Medical Centers. Over this time Dr. White's been a licensed psychologist in private practice.
Dr. White has lived in Santa Monica for the last 23 years with his wife and their nine year old Labrador Retriever, Bodhi. Their daughter has a graduate degree from Brooklyn College in Performing Arts Management and their son is on the track team (pole vaulting) at UCLA.
In addition to working with adults who are having problems with various types of anxiety, depression and relationship difficulties Dr. White has special expertise in the following areas:
1. Couples Therapy: Roughly half of Dr. White's practice involves working with couples who are having mild to severe relationship problems. He has had years of training and supervision in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (developed by Sue Johnson at the University of Ottawa; www.eft.ca) as well as cognitive behavioral marital therapy.
2. Treatment for Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Since the early 1990s Dr. White's used EMDR, cognitive and other therapies to work with individuals and groups who suffer from recent and chronic PTSD. This includes those who have been emotionally and physically abused and neglected as children. He also have expertise working at the local, national and international level with victims of widespread illness, war, genocide, terror, tsunamis (tidal waves), earthquakes. Dr. White has numerous publications in both professional and popular journals and magazines reporting on these experiences.
Dr. White has been honored for his work with a variety of awards including:
- California Psychological Association Humanitarian Award
- Los Angeles County Psychological Association Humanitarian Award
- EMDR Humanitarian Award for work in Bosnia
- EMDR Humanitarian Aware for work in Croatia
Professional Membership and Activities
Board of Directors, California Physicians Alliance (current) Steering Committee for California Senator Sheila Kuehl's SB840 (current) Member, Green Cross Projects (current) Board of Directors, Los Angeles Psychological Association Board of Directors, Medicine for Humanity
Popular Press and Media
Dr. White has published articles and interviews in the popular press and is frequently asked by national newspapers, TV and the internet to do interviews on popular topics and events.
He has served as a psychological consultant on more than a dozen TV Reality TV shows which have aired on ABC, NBC and numerous cable channels.