Dr. Geoffry White has enjoyed being a clinical psychologist in West Los Angeles for over 20 years working primarily with individual adults and couples. He has been trained in the major approaches to psychotherapy and tries to flexibly combine them to help the people he works with in his practice.
Dr. White grew up in Los Angeles, went to UCLA for his undergraduate work and then attended the University of Oregon for his doctorate in psychology. He spent a year at SUNY Stony Brook in New York for a postdoctoral fellowship. Since then he has been a full-time Professor of Psychology (CSU Fullerton, 1975-85) and part-time faculty at UCLA and UC Irvine Medical Centers. Over the entire time he has been a licensed psychologist in private practice.
To fulfill his desire and commitment to helping others, Dr. White devotes significant volunteer time and energy to a variety of political and humanitarian activities at the local, State, national and international level. This involvement has addressed health care and campaign finance reform in the US, trauma treatment for war and disaster victims (Bosnia, Croatia, Sri Lanka and NY post-911), cervical cancer prevention on three continents and and variety of other projects. His work has been recognized with numerous awards and distinctions in the US and abroad.
Dr. White and his family have lived in Santa Monica for the last 23 years. Their nine year old Labrador Retriever, Bodhi, takes them for an exercise walk most evenings. The Whites have two children, a daughter who works for a theater production company in Manhattan, and a son on the track team at UCLA.
In addition to working with adults who are having problems with various types of anxiety, depression and relationship difficulties he has special expertise in the following areas:
1. Couples Therapy: Roughly half Dr. White's practice involves working with couples who are having mild to severe relationship problems. Dr. White has had years of training and supervision in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (developed by Sue Johnson at the University of Ottawa; www.eft.ca) as well as cognitive behavioral marital therapy.
2. Treatment for Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Since the early 1990s Dr. White has used EMDR, cognitive and other therapies to work with individuals and groups who suffer from recent and chronic PTSD. This includes those who have been emotionally and physically abused and neglected as children. Dr. White also has expertise working at the local, national and international level with victims of widespread illness, war, genocide, terror, tsunamis (tidal waves), earthquakes. He has numerous publications in both professional and popular journals and magazines reporting on these experiences.
Dr. White has been honored for his work with a variety of awards including:
- California Psychological Association Humanitarian Award
- Los Angeles County Psychological Association Humanitarian Award
- EMDR Humanitarian Award for work in Bosnia
- EMDR Humanitarian Aware for work in Croatia
Professional Membership and Activities
Board of Directors, California Physicians Alliance (current) Steering Committee for California Senator Sheila Kuehl's SB840 (current) Member, Green Cross Projects (current) Board of Directors, Los Angeles Psychological Association Board of Directors, Medicine for Humanity
Popular Press and Media
Dr. White has published articles and interviews in the popular press and is frequently asked by national newspapers, TV and the internet to do interviews on popular topics and events.
Dr. White has served as a psychological consultant on more than a dozen TV Reality TV shows which have aired on ABC, NBC and numerous cable channels.
Dr. White is an avid surfer and ping pong player. He enjoys travel, his most recent trip being to Nepal to visit his daughter who was living there for a year. He has been to Europe over 20 times and especially enjoys France, the Netherlands and the Balkan countries. Dr. White tried sky diving with his children and is happy he has a video of it so he doesn't have to do it again. (He gets enough excitement from surfing.) Dr. White also enjoys oil painting and photography. His claim to fame is that three of his photos hang in the Louvre's photograph collection. That's a long story. Dr. White is fortunate that his paintings and photos have been in a variety of shows and exhibitions. He was honored to have one of his paintings selected to hang in the main office of the American Psychological Association's executive office in Washington DC.